Top 5 Weekly Routine Checks for Looking After Your Generator!
Even the very best power generators need regular maintenance to guarantee peak performance. Generators need to be serviced by trained engineers to ensure they are serviced correctly. However, between services visits, there are 5 checks you can do onsite to ensure the smooth running of your generator.
Here are our top five routine weekly checks:
- Check coolant and oil levels and top up if required. visually check for any leaks or anything that appears to abnormal.
- Weekly battery voltage check – the process for this is controller specific, please enquire and we can send you a “how-to guide” for your controller.
- Check that the attenuator and exhausts are clear of blockages. e.g. dust and birds nests
- Weekly test run offload (duration 5 minutes)
- General upkeep of the bodywork to prevent rust
It is always a risk trying to undertake more advanced maintenance work if you are not qualified. But If you want to be more hands-on with your generator, we recommend a HawkEye2 remote monitoring contract.
Added protection with remote monitoring HawkEye2 offers 24/7 remote monitoring and can be used with all makes and sizes of standby generators. Remote monitoring ensures any issues are flagged up and rectified before your hour of need – not during it. Sometimes you won’t even have to wait for an engineer to arrive.
Once a week, HawkEye2 automatically starts your generator and runs it for 10 minutes, checking vital operating parameters such as; voltage, frequency, oil and water temperature, battery condition, emergency stop and fuel levels. After the test, a full condition report is sent to Shenton Group’s HawkEye2 monitoring centre. You can also choose to receive SMS or voicemail reports straight to your phone.
HawkeEye 2 in a nutshell:
- Fully-automatic operation 24/7
- Continuous monitoring of generator conditions
- Notification of mains failure and generator operation
- Confirmation of a successful test run
- Automatic low fuel warning.
When it comes to physical maintenance work on your generator, we have strategically placed depots across the UK and a nationwide network of technical engineers and support staff. We promise the highest standards of UPS and power generator servicing, generator repair, maintenance and emergency response.
For more information on our maintenance support, get in contact today.